Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Whisky Diaries - day 5 (on Star Wars)

Where to begin. I don’t know. I just finished Return of the Jedi for the first time ever and I’m feeling all of the feelings. I’m not ashamed to say that a cried a little when I saw Anakins force ghost at the very end. He was easily my favourite character and I never, not once, looked at Darth Vader without picturing a tortured Anakin inside.

After having watched them all in the proper narrative order I can say withoutadoubt that Star Wars is a masterpiece of both conception and realisation. I am fully aware that this is not a unique or individual opinion in any way, but what I want you to understand is that this saga truly impressed me. The depth of characters, the levels of the plot, the human themes – everything. I am just so stoked by all of the awesomeness.

I had seen all three of the prequel trilogy a fair few years ago, and only one of the original trilogy so many years ago that I couldn’t even remember which one I’d seen. I had this crazy idea in my head that the new prequel trilogy were actually far better than the old sequel trilogy, then after watching IV - A New Hope and V – The Empire Strikes Back straight after each other, I decided they were totally absolutely way better. But now, after having only just finished the final instalment, I can no longer separate the two sets. Honestly. I see them all as one big line in a massive generation-spanning story. I feel lucky to have been able to really watch them all for the first time as an adult in their proper narrative order.

Favourite character is Anakin. Hands down. The more I think about it the more I like him. I had massive soft spots for Ewan McGregors Obi-Wan Kenobi, and I thought Princess Leia was the maddest chick in all the lands – when she strangled Jabba the Hutt!!!???!?! #holyshitsoawesome – she’s officially my new girlcrush/hero. In terms of non-humans, I totally dig R2D2 (and HATE C3PO) and also love, duh, Chewbacca. What a loveable guy – when he hugs Hans... awww just the best. Speaking of Hans, I feel like I should like him more than I do, but when I look at him I just see Indiana Jones and Indy was always too much of a womaniser to do justice to Leia’s love and that’s something I can’t seem to get past. I know, I know, shoot me now.

So why do I love Anakin so much? I think it’s because he was just trying really hard the whole damn time, and his friends let him down, and the Jedis let him down, and even Padme let him down. They must have been able to see he was struggling with his powers and his visions and they all ignored him. His love for Padme drove him crazy and when he thinks he killed her, it was the final straw of him (almost) truly turning to the dark side. I feel like he was just so damn lost all the time and all people told him to do was ‘be patient’ even though he couldn’t sleep because of nightmares of his mother and his lover dying! Jesus christ, people, give the boy a hand. They weren’t even going to train him if not for Qui-Gon Jinn’s dying requests. So what, they were just going to kick a kid out whose father was literally midichlorians (read: the force)? Yeah, go back to being a slave. AGH. Jedi council, I hate you sometimes!
There are a couple of little problems I have with the whole saga, but most of them have already been voiced before. Primarily, I mean, how did nobody see that Padme was massively pregnant that whole time and that Anakin was obviously the father... I also just hated C3PO with a passion that grew and grew with every scene I saw him in. I seriously can’t stand that motherfucker. On the flip side though, I do REALLY want a little braided rat tail of hair on the bottom left side of my head.

I’m not sure what more I can really say, other than how damn awesome these movies are. There is also a special Wikipedia website for it all called Wookieepedia which can answer all your questions and also is extremely humorous.

If you haven’t seen them for a while, do yourself a favour and watch them again, man. Had by all, good times will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...